Popular Posts

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Lord Is My Shepherd

The Lord is My Shepherd



The twenty-third Psalm is a favorite of Christians everywhere. We all love this Psalm because of all of the comfort that it brings. This song begins by telling us that the Lord is our Shepherd.



“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.” Psalm 23:1 We need to be reminded that the Lord is our Shepherd, that He is leading us through this dark and troubled world. Especially when our lives don’t seem to make sense and we become discouraged, it’s comforting to remember that our Shepherd is still there guiding us and praying for us. We shall not want because He will take care of our needs. Jesus our good Shepherd “gave His life for the sheep.” John 10:11



“He makes me to lie down in green pastures: He leads me beside the still waters.” Psalm 23:2. Jesus, our Shepherd promises us peace and rest. “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you---“John 14:27. “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:29 The outside world will never know the joys we receive when we are being led by our Shepherd.



“He restores my soul, He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake” Psalm 23:3. Daily restoration of the anxious weary soul is a major human need. We read in 2 Corinthians 4:16 that: “---Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.” Our body is aging and wearing out but our soul is being restored! It’s comforting to know that our Shepherd leads us into good living for His name’s sake. Our walk with the Lord brings Him joy too.



“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For you are with me: Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4. Our Shepherd will be with us when we are dying and we will be comforted by Him at that time. We will not have to fear death.



“You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies: You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.” Psalm 23:5. Our Shepherd blesses us and favors us. He gives us His Holy Spirit and makes our lives to overflow with abundance.



“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.” Psalm 23:6. If we look over our shoulder we can see “goodness” and “mercy” following after us wherever we go. Yes we will have troubles and problems but God’s mercy and goodness are always with us too.



And Psalm 23 closes at the end of our earthly journey, when the Shepherd has led us all the way to our eternal home. The journey is over and we have everlasting life. –“---And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.” Psalm 23:6 It doesn’t get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment