Popular Posts

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Jesus' Message to the Faithful Church of Philadelphia


Jesus’ Message to the Faithful Church of Philadelphia
 
The church in Philadelphia was the sixth of seven churches where Jesus sent His messages.  Jesus was not pleased with the actions of some of the other churches and He gave them warnings to turn from their sins.  But Jesus doesn’t condemn anything that this little church in Philadelphia had done.   In fact, Jesus gave many wonderful promises to the Christians who belonged to the church of Philadelphia!  What were these Christians doing that caused Jesus to rejoice over them and bless them?  Let’s read Jesus’ message to the Philadelphia church and find out.  Here is His message.
 
“To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:  “This message is from The One who is holy and the One who is true, and the One who has the key of David, and the One who opens and no one shuts and shuts and no one opens.  
 
I know your works.  See I have set before you an open door.  And no one can shut it.  For you have a little strength.  But you have kept My Word, and have not denied My Name.  Indeed, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie – indeed, I will make them come and worship before your feet, and they will know that I have loved you.
 
Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who live on the earth.  Behold, I am coming quickly!  Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.
 
He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God.  And he shall go out no more.  I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God.  And I will write My new Name on him.  He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Revelations 3:7-13
 
Jesus begins His message describing Himself as: “The One who is holy and the One who is true, and the One who has the key of David, and the One who opens, and no one shuts and shuts and no one opens.” (Revelations 3:7) This description of Jesus emphasizes His holiness, His sovereignty, and His authority.   And Jesus describes Himself as the One who shuts and no one opens and opens and no one shuts. 
 
The citizens of Philadelphia at that time (95 A.D.)  were expected to bow down and worship other gods. The town of Philadelphia and all of Asia Minor was under Roman rule and many were ordered to worship the Roman emperor.  As Christians, they refused to worship or serve any other than the Lord their God.  And this often-cost Christians their jobs and sometimes their lives.
 
 These persecutions could leave frightened Christians feeling out of control of their lives. But Jesus is reminding them that He is in control of their lives. That He is the One who holds the power over their lives.  And that all things work together for good to those who love Him. (Romans 8:28) He (Jesus) alone can shut and open doors.
 
  I believe that Jesus’ comforting words to those early Christians who loved Him are the same for us today who love Him.  That our lives are not out of control.  That our steps are ordered by the Lord and He alone shuts and opens our doors.     
 
We wondered what these Christians in Philadelphia were doing that caused Jesus to rejoice over them and bless them.  When we read through Jesus’ message to them we find that Jesus says: “I know your works,…you have a little strength, and have kept My Word, and have not denied My Name. “(Revelation 3:8)
 
 The church of Philadelphia was weak in some respects, yet they have kept His Word and obeyed it and have not denied His Name as Savior and Son of God.  Because of this, the Lord promises them an “open door” of blessing.  Some Christian churches today have stopped keeping His Word, since it isn’t fashionable.  And some believe they are too smart to trust in His Name.  
 
Jesus also praises the Philadelphia church for keeping on and holding fast to their faith during their long trial. He says: “Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world,…”  (Revelations 3:10 -11) The church’s faithful endurance would serve as a blessing.  Jesus would take them to be with Him before the coming tribulation. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)
 
Jesus’ letter also condemns the enemies of the Philadelphian believers: “I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, …to acknowledge that I have loved you.” (Revelation 3:9) The church of Philadelphia would be victorious over its enemies. 
 
Jesus gives a final promise to the believers in Philadelphia: to Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God.  Never again will he leave it.  I will write on him the name of my god and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down from out of heaven from my God: and I will also write on him my new Name.” (Revelation 3:12) Jesus promises that He will give them (and us) a new name in Glory and He will make these faithful Christian pillars in the spiritual temple of God, the New Jerusalem.  (Galatians 2:9, 1 Corinthians 3:16-17) Ephesians 2:19-22)
 
Jesus calls on the Philadelphia church to hold fast. And He calls us to hold fast also. All of us who have struggled with weakness but still hold fast to our Biblical faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord, may be made everlasting pillars in the house of God.  Jesus’ words of comfort and love must have been a blessing to the beleaguered church in Philadelphia.  Those Christians faithfully stood for Christ in their pagan culture.
 
  Jesus is still watching over His believers today and over His many churches here in our pagan world.  He rejoices over some believers and cries over others.  He walks among us warning and comforting and loving and blessing us, and He always has much to say to us.  But are we listening?  He calls us to listen.  Each of His letters to the churches always ends with these words: “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches.”  (Revelation 3:13)  
 
  
 
 
 


 
 
 
 



   
 
 
 
  
 
  
 
 
 

 

 

  
 
.
  




  
 
 
 
 













No comments:

Post a Comment